Tuesday, March 17, 2009

15 Most Influential Albums of My Life

This is very difficult to do, given my love of music...But after watching High Fidelity for the hundredth time I figured I would give it a shot....

1. Sign O' The Times - Prince.

Best album by the best ever. Socially conscious (Title Track), great ballads (Adore) and the song that formed my perspective on relationships (If I Was Your Girlfriend). Pure Greatness.

2. Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
3. Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde - The Pharcyde

Albums that truly took me from liking hip-hop to truly loving it.

4. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane

Greatest Jazz album ever in my opinion. When I need to reflect and clear my head, it always does the trick.

5. People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm - A Tribe Called Quest
6. Best of Sade

I know a "Best of" is cheating a little bit, but this is the perfect compilation. All her top songs. When pulling yourself together from heartbreak, there is none better.

7. It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - Public Enemy

One of the major reasons why I became a Black studies major. The best voice in the history of hip-hop inspiring critical and politically radical thinking.

8. Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star - Mos and Kweli

The two of them have never been better

9. Urban Hang Suite - Maxwell

An album that traces a relationship from "Welcome" to "The Proposal"...Pure soul...

10. Illmatic - Nas
11. Resurrection - Common

Two of the most lyrically tight albums ever recorded. The number of times I hit the rewind button while listening to their flow? Too many to count.

12. Purple Rain - Prince
13. Labcabincalifornia - The Pharcyde

Great lyrics plus the greatness of Jay Dee's production = classic.

14. Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
15. The Minstrel Show - Little Brother

Great satire which showcased just how far hip-hop has fallen.

No comments: