Sunday, December 07, 2008

Random Thoughts on a Snowy Weekend…..

Not a lot today....Just a couple of thoughts this time...One silly, one serious...

There are a number of currently successful artists in the music industry whose appeal I simply cannot understand (I’m still trying to wrap my mind around this Lil’ Wayne nonsense). I seriously try to be open minded to their music, yet I am left scratching my head as I listen to crappy songs and see a lack discernable talent or appeal. This thought brings me to one of those artists: Keisha Cole. Her albums generally sell very well, she has her own television show....Yet I have no idea how this harpy is successful. The sound of her voice literally hurts my ears.

Last night she...ummm...performed the national anthem before the Oscar De La Hoya-Manny Paciao fight. A better explanation is that she screamed it while writhing and convulsing. It was embarrassing to watch and needless to say, it didn’t exactly measure up to the Marvin Gaye/Whitney Houston gold standard. I do not understand why some people think screaming and hollering like you're getting beat with a switch qualifies and being able to "sang".

Now don’t get me wrong, she’s an attractive girl, but her tone deaf wailing reminds me of a cat in heat.....getting tortured by a blow torch. Seriously, someone help me out on this one because I just don’t get it.

Moving on, I read some very sad news about Rodney Rogers, a former great college and professional basketball player. It seems that Rodney has been left paralyzed from the shoulders down by after an ATV accident in rural North Carolina.

I was always a fan of his. He was a big power forward who could shoot like a guard. I remember him dominating the ACC at Wake Forest. In the pros, every team he went to seemed to get a lift and improve due to his contributions. I remember he was a huge part of the last good Celtics team before the “Big 3”, getting traded here during the 2001-2002 team and being a huge part of the Pierce-Walker team that went to the Eastern Conference finals and really pushed the Nets before falling.

Even more than athletically, he always seemed like a total class act. You never heard his name mention in any trouble or controversy. He always played hard. Now he sits crippled for life at the very young age of 37.

I would just like to send my prayers to Rodney and his family, as I hope he is able to rebound somehow from this and live out his days in a happy and productive manner.

No comments: